lichess.org
Donate

Color Function

Firstly, choice of color should not be offered for rated games.

Secondly, there should be a color function which determines some coefficient for a player (it is measured by the number of past games played as white versus as black) which when compared to another player's coefficient will determine which player will play as white. This way, someone is less likely to be stuck playing as black for many games in a row (bad luck).
1. Restricting the choice of side in rated games has been implemented in the past. It was largely disliked.

2. The issue with having a run of black games is a tricky one.

Currently when you make a game with random colour, if someone makes a game with the same settings but with side selected they will join your game with the colour they desired. Other than that, it's completely random.

I agree with others who think that 'random' should mean random, and the above system should not be in effect.

Looking at my account, I have 393 games as white, and 420 as black (rated). That's ~48:52 ratio, almost exactly 50:50. Also, when I look at your games, you have an almost ideal 48:46 ~= 1:1 ratio of white:black rated games.

The issue of disparity between white and black games is not a major problem. Trying to implement a system to fix these tiny disparities is not worth the effort.
Looking at those ratios will not bring up any relevant information, particularly on accounts that have a big enough sample of games. Rather, it is about streaking black or white.

It may be the case that it is not important enough to implement my proposed system, though I think such a system could be written within a half hour or so.
i dont think it is random. when i play with a bad connection (mobile) i always get black.
I don't pay any attention to colors when I select a game, and if I create a new game myself I always choose random color. These are my stats: White: 979 Games, Black: 1,755 Games. I don't complain but system could be more fair...
maybe add a game filter black/white/random color . That may help.
tl;dr but:

"Currently when you make a game with random colour, if someone makes a game with the same settings but with side selected they will join your game with the colour they desired."

This has been fixed like a month ago, and is no longer possible.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.