lichess.org
Donate

in 1980 i was a 9 year old who played Korchnoi on his tour of Britain and i beat him

Korchnoi was sworn to secrecy but i beat him one on one in a 45 minute game with a 9 move combination.
the story goes like this Korchnoi toured the whole of Britain in 1980 playing promising british school children aged 9-11. Around about the time he played nigel short in a simul and drew with him he played me or thats what i was told.

The scene was my school chess lesson where my teacher(a woman) had something in her ears which was making sounds i could hear like voices.(this was way back in 1981 before headphones were invented). She said to me we are going to play each other today, and when i sat down by the nearest table to play she said no over here(and beckoned me to the middle of the room to a set there) obviously because the cameras had been set up there.
I played her, while she made a move almost immediately after a noise from her ear. Then after i made a fantastic 9 move combination on her she resigned and said 'bloody hell, you just beat Korchnoi'
And then Korchnoi burst in screaming "WHY DID YOU RESIGN??? I WAS WINNING!!!"
Nice story though, maybe you should go into creative writing.
nothing untoward happened to me, and i received no known fame, i just grew up as chess was just a hobby to me at the time and i didnt even know who korchnoi was until years later. My parents didnt push me towards chess i just played my sargon ii chess computer program on the vic 20 home computer and played on the amiga home computer, chessmaster 2000 and colossus X chess. It wasnt until i was 19 that a friend convinced me to go to a local chess club.
@AsDaGo said in #5:
> Nice story though, maybe you should go into creative writing.
i am just telling you the more believable parts of my life, none of it is remotely believable.
i also had a similar experience in 1997 at my local chess club where someone said 'you just beat kasparov in a match' during the deep blue match.
the similarities between me and bobby fischer are significant, i lived in argentina in the 70s so did he, i had schizophrenia so did he, i had an iq of over 180 so did he, i made a speech denouncing jews in chess so did he, i laughed at 911 so did he(i was clinically insane at the time of the last two), i visited brooklyn he lived there, we both had a great result aged 9, we both had no friends during our childhood and lived almost as recluses in our childhood, we were both handsome and tall, both had distant fathers, both self taught and both played chess against our sibling and had a big sister, both had a priest as a chess friend. and both went on icc and were mistaken for each other.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.